I can’t believe that our last post was almost one month ago! It seems like time is just flying by these days! Here’s an update on what’s been happening over this last month:
1) We found out that we’re having a GIRL, and we are beginning to make preparations for her arrival! I can’t believe that in a little over 100 days, we will meet our little Fairley Anne (or at least that’s what we have “named” her for now.)
2) Candace went home for her first visit to Texas after moving here and was so excited to see some very special friends and family! We were so grateful for this opportunity!
3) We have hosted some great teams over the past month including a group from Union Grove, Alabama, led by our dear friend, Josh Lansford, who is now a pastor at First Baptist Union Grove. A group of three men came to get a vision for the city and its needs, and they also helped serve us around the building while they were here. We were so grateful for all their help, and we enjoyed getting to spend time with them all.
4) Currently, we are hosting a group of students from the Bakke Graduate University. They are taking a week-long Urban Immersion class, and we are excited about all they are going to learn about doing missions in the city!
5) We have been building community with our small group from Apostles Church and are so blessed to have met this group of people who love Jesus and want to be on mission together for him! (We also found out that another couple in our group is expecting, so that means we will be welcoming babies from February-May in our group!)
6) We just finished a great visit with my brother and his girlfriend Heather, and we were so excited to host our first visitors in the city!
7) We went on a Baby Moon to Maine and enjoyed extra special time together as a couple before our bundle of joy arrives! (We also (begrudgingly) welcomed our first snow of the season, which even led to a night without power. Although this Texas girl is slowly warming up to the idea of a northeast winter, I am in no way ready to begin bundling up in October!)
8) We are enjoying time with our families – whether it’s weekly Tuesday night Skype dates with the Durden family or monthly dinners with the Field families, we are grateful for both of our families and the opportunity that we have to share our lives with them, no matter the avenue!
9) We are loving our work here, we are soaking in the extra time that we have been given as a married couple during this season, and we are continuing to learn more about hospitality and the calling that God has placed on our lives through our work at the MNYBA. I am especially learning a lot through these verses:
7 The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.8Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 9 Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: 11whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 4:7-11
I also enjoyed the thoughts from this journal entry on hospitality:
10) We are enjoying every day and counting the blessings and gifts that God has given us as we enter this season of Thanksgiving and look forward to remembering and celebrating the birth of our Savior!